Everyone has a few go to recipes. This is one of mine. There hasn’t been one person who I’ve served this pasta dish to that didn’t love it. It’s so easy to make. You brown sausage..add tomato paste…white wine..a little cream at the end & it’s done. It’s easy enough for a week night meal & delicious enough to serve to dinner guest.
(recipe by Mario Batali)
Makes 6 servings
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 large onion, diced
1 lb. Italian sausage, removed from casting
6 Tbsps. tomato paste
1/2 c. dry white wine
1/2 c. milk
salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 lb. fusilli (any hearty shaped pasta will do)
1) In a 12-14 inch saute pan, heat the olive oil & butter over high heat. Add the diced onion & cook until soft & slightly golden, 6-8 minutes. Add the sausage & cook until nicely browned & crispy; about 10 minutes
2) Put the tomato paste in with the sausage & cook until it’s a deep rust color: about 8 minutes. Add the wine & stir frequently, until it evaporates. Stir in the milk, season with salt & pepper, reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot with 2 Tsps of salt. Drop in pasta into the boiling water & cook until al dente or your desired doneness.
4) Scoop out about 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water & set aside. Add the pasta to the sauce & until it’s completely coated. Add a splash or two of the reserved cooking water if necessary,to loosen the sauce.
5) Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmigiano.